As a Center for Independent Living, the Independent Living Resource Center follows the State Plan for Independent Living (SPIL). The SPIL is a three year strategic plan and the basis for State operation and administration of the Independent Living program. In the current program, the goals are:
- Facilitate the transition of youth with disabilities, including youth who were eligible for individualized Education Programs and have completed or left secondary education to postsecondary life.
- Improve the health, wellness and safety of children and adults with all types of disabilities throughout Florida.
- Facilitate outreach to individuals with disabilities and other stakeholders who are underrepresented and/or underserved in communities across Florida.
- Facilitate the transition of persons with significant disabilities by increasing the number of individuals with disabilities who reside in their chosen, least restrictive community environment.
- Increase Independent Living Program capacity of infrastructure and resource development through combined FILC, CIL and VR statewide initiatives.