James Patrick Personal Assistant Services Program
The James Patrick – Personal Assistance Services Program (JP-PAS). The program is designed for working persons with chronic physical, cognitive or certain psychological disabilities who need a personal care attendant (PCA) to help them maintain employment. Depending on their income, program participants can receive up to $1,600 per month for reimbursement of actual PAS expenses.
Persons who wish to apply must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:
- Must be a person with a disability who requires personal assistance service (PAS) for support or cueing for at least two activities of daily living as determined in writing by a physician or psychiatrist. Activities of daily living means functions and tasks for self-care including ambulation, bathing, dressing, eating, grooming, and toileting (F.S. 429.02).
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be a U.S. citizen and Florida resident or, if a non-U.S. citizen, must be a legal permanent resident of the state.
- Must be able to acquire and manage a personal care attendant.
- Must be employed, earning an annual gross income of at least the federal poverty level for a household of one but less than $120,000.
- Must not receive Social Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Income (SSDI) cash benefits.
- Must not be participating in a Medicaid waiver program.
If you meet the eligibility requirements, please complete the enclosed Program Application and Diagnosis Verification Form and submit with all required documentation as listed below:
- Proof of age and U.S. Citizenship or lawful Permanent Resident status
- U.S. Citizenship: original or certified U.S. birth certificate, valid U.S. passport, or Certificate of Naturalization
- Permanent Resident: I-551 “Green Card”
- Proof of Florida residency must show two proofs
- Florida Driver’s License or Florida State Identification Card
- Florida Voter Registration or Florida Vehicle Registration
- Transcripts from a Florida college for a degree earned within the last 12 months
- Utility bills, cable bills, or a land line telephone bill or other documentation
- Proof of Employment
- Copy of Pay Stubs for the past 30 days of employment
- Letter of Intent to Hire
- Copy of your most recent federal income tax return
Participants are required to participate in a bi-annual face-to-face meeting with a representative of this program to confirm employment.
Space in the JP-PAS program is limited, and applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis. Therefore, it is strongly recommended applicants submit all required forms and documentations as soon as possible to:
James Patrick-PAS Program
c/o Florida Association of Centers for Independent Living
325 John Knox Road, Building C, Suite 132
Tallahassee, FL 32303
Completed Application Packages will be reviewed for consideration in the order in which they were received. Applicants will receive a letter noting the status of the application and the current program availability within four weeks after all Application Package materials are received. Applicants will be notified via e-mail or by phone if the application package is incomplete. Application Packages that remain incomplete for a period of 30 days will be denied.